Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Our Book Club

Another thing I've decided for the ladies to do is start a book club. I would like to read Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain by Portia de Rossi and The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. Unbearable Lightness is a novel about a girl who suffer through anorexia and deals with issues teenage girls face now (such as being pressured to be exactly as the women portrayed in the media look like). Persepolis is a graphic novel about a girl growing up in Iran. It'll really help the Ladies see what a girl their age went through in another country. The only obstacle I see is getting money to buy the books for the girls. However, as long as we have a goal, we can figure out how to accomplish it.
I would really like for the girls to read these books in order to get different perspectives of the world. Unbearable Lightness is written by actress Portia de Rossi--I really suggest reading the description of the book on Amazon. I honestly cannot wait to read it. Persepolis I've already read, but I would definitely be willing to read it more than once. It's about an Iranian girl growing up during the Islamic Revolution. Both books are memoirs, but Persepolis is written in comic strips. I really loved Persepolis and I really felt like I could relate to the girl in the novel even though she lived in a different place and at a different time. I hope the ladies really learn from both books.

3 comments:

  1. I love how you are giving details and you have a plan. I think the most important part to your project is time. How do you plan to make the girls want to read the book? What is your proposed time line and schedule to finish the books? I know for example that seniors complain an awful lot about reading and I would expect some ladies to do the same if they feel they are running out of time. The reason most kids drop out of clubs are because they feel they have too much work. I don't say this to defer you from reading books, but I want to be realistic. What if the ladies don't do the work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its good that you have actually planned out what things yu are gooing to be doing in thee club. I also think it will be smart if you began to think of ooon how you are going to fundraise for the boooks. This will probably just show that you are organize and prepare. Also its nice that you have summaries of all the books, this way you can encourage the girls to read your blogs. I think one thing you can work on is figuring when the disscussions are taking place. Also is this the only thing that your going to be disscusing during your metting.

    Overall you have pretty well develop ideas and from what I see goood books too be disscussed. All we need now is to have girls be part of the group. How are you going to inform people about the books and other events that will be going on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you what to get the girls to read these books you chose. I think that this will facilitate discussing different topics and ideas. It will give the members of your group a platform that they can work off from.

    ReplyDelete